You are here
AFP trainee scheme
Do you want a journalism career with Agence France-Presse, one of the world's top international news agencies? AFP is launching a new training scheme for budding anglophone journalists and we are on the hunt for the best young talent out there.
Since 2007, AFP has been running a similar programme for francophone journalists, selecting the best students from journalism schools or young people who have already dipped their toes in the industry.
AFP is now embarking on an exciting new scheme open to English-speaking journalists. We are offering temporary six-month contracts to the successful candidates, with the potential for a full time job at the agency. Under the French programme, 660 applicants have so far taken part in the testing process, and a total of 72 accepted for the traineeship, of whom 52 have joined AFP in a full time capacity.
The trainee schemes will be based in three of the agency's major news hubs - London, Hong Kong and Johannesburg. We are looking for dynamic self-starters and team players who are ready for the challenge of working in a busy multimedia newsroom.
The offer is open to candidates who:
- Have a recognised journalism degree, or are in their final year of studies or have made a start working in journalism.
- Have a keen eye for what makes a story, and a desire to report on global events
- Knowledge of French would be a big advantage, along with a third language -- particularly one such as Arabic, Mandarin or Russian
- Show real versatility, with a range of skills in text and video journalism, social media and fact-checking
The challenge: We will be testing your knowledge of international news in various fields, including general news, sports and your aptitude in video and social networks.
The timetable: The selection of short-listed candidates will take place in January and tests and interviews will be held in February in London, Hong Kong and Johannesburg.
The winners will be announced in March and your new adventure will start in about July.
To apply, please send your CV and a letter of motivation to:
- London traineeship: afptrainingschemeLondon@afp.com
- Johannesburg traineeship: afptrainingschemeJoburg@afp.com
- Hong Kong traineeship: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close December 31, 2019