You are here
Starting date: August 1, 2022
Deadline for applications: June 15, 2022
AFP’s Dubai bureau is seeking a skilled English-language reporter to join our team covering the Gulf and Yemen, a dynamic region with a growing presence that encompasses everything from war and diplomacy to oil, the environment and sport.
You will join a team that covers the six Gulf countries and Yemen from Dubai, working closely with our bureaus in Riyadh and Doha and our network of freelancers across the region.
You will contribute to the coverage of the Gulf region through original reporting, editing the copy of fellow correspondents and translating from French and Arabic. You will also monitor social media and Arabic-language television channels such as Al-Jazeera and Al-Arabiya for breaking news.
Working in a fascinating region rich in news, you will cover fast-breaking stories often at the top of the international agenda, from high-stakes diplomacy and political intrigue to global energy prices and sectarian unrest. You will also provide in-depth pieces to explain Gulf issues to a global audience and contribute to the region’s increasingly important coverage of the environment, technology, culture and lifestyle.
You should have a keen eye for the visual and multimedia aspect of coverage and work to coordinate with the photo, video and graphics departments.
Use of social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) and networking apps is essential, while respecting AFP’s guidelines. You are also encouraged to collaborate with AFP’s fact-checking journalists.
As a general rule, you commit to respecting AFP's ethics charter as well as all the editorial guidelines in force and in the Agency's style guide.
You must be ready to work a wide range of hours, including early mornings and late nights, as well as weekends.
In an ever-changing media environment, the nature of the job could evolve in line with coverage demands and the requirements of an increasingly diverse client base.
- A proven track record as a strong journalist, with the initiative to generate stories and uncover interesting angles;
- Native-level Arabic, to ensure proper monitoring of local media and the translation of copy produced in Arabic, is clearly a strong advantage. However, outstanding candidates without Arabic will also be considered;
- The high-level English writing skills necessary to produce concise news copy, compelling focus/analysis pieces and lively features, and to edit quickly and effectively;
- Excellent news judgment, the energy and drive to work long hours in a high-pressure environment;
- A good knowledge of French;
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work well in a team.
Please send CV & cover letter to:
Gulf Bureau Chief: Talek.Harris@afp.com