You are here
Products and services
Setting the standard internationally05/09/2015 - 00:52
Trial winding down for popular Venezuela dissident leader
Jailed Venezuelan opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez appeared in court Friday for the final phase of his trial on charges of inciting violence during protests that shook th...
Trial winding down for popular Venezuela dissident leadercf91b9ba0ebc6eac4a41f2ce04ec4d55f2f142bd.jpg
AFP / Juan Barreto
The wife of jailed opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez, Lilian Tintori (C), waves a national flag in Caracas on September 4, 2015
Jailed Venezuelan opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez appeared in court Friday for the final phase of his trial on charges of inciting violence during protests that shook the country last year.
Scores of supporters gathered outside the court as Lopez arrived for the hearing, which could stretch over a matter of days.
Lopez, who has been held at a military prison since February 2014, faces up to 12 years in jail if convicted.
Numerous human rights groups have called for his release, condemning the case against him as politically motivated.
His lawyer says there have been serious irregularities in his trial, which has been held behind closed doors.
The judge admitted 138 witnesses for the prosecution but just one of the 50 witnesses and pieces of evidence submitted by the defense.
Lopez, a US-trained economist, is one of the main leaders of the radical opposition movement seeking to force the ouster of socialist President Nicolas Maduro's government.
He was a prominent figure during last year's protests, which erupted in response to violent crime, a sinking economy and severe shortages of basic goods.
Between February and June last year, 43 people were killed in protest-related violence.
Lopez was arrested on February 18, 2014, handing himself in to police after giving an impassioned speech to his supporters.
In May, the 44-year-old opposition leader staged a month-long hunger strike to pressure authorities to set a date for legislative elections.
He ended the strike after the vote was set for December 6. Opinion polls indicate Maduro's movement risks losing for the first time since his late mentor Hugo Chavez came to power in 1999.
Web & Mobile
Essential news in text, photo, graphic and video format04/09/2015 - 22:25
World's shortest man dies aged 75
AFP / Punit Paranjpe
World's shortest adult Chandra Bahadur Dangi, pictured here in Mumbai on March 18, 2015, lived in a remote Nepalese village but travelled the world after he was officially declared the world's smallest man
The world's shortest man, as verified by the Guinness Book of Records, has died of an undisclosed illness in American Samoa, a hospital spokeswoman said Friday.
Nepal's Chandra Bahadur Dangi, who was 21.5 inches tall (54.6 cm), died late Thursday at the Lyndon B. Johnson Tropical Medical Center in Pago Pago.
The 75-year-old lived in a remote village around 400 kilometres (248 miles) from Kathmandu but travelled the world after he was officially declared the world's smallest man, posing for a photograph with world's tallest man Sultan Kosen in 2013.
The first worldwide video agency to provide HD05/09/2015 - 00:59Chargement...
Essential news coverage 24 hours a day, 7 days a week04/09/2015 - 19:05
Create your mobile solution with AFP: mobile websites and applications
The new production and distribution system from AFP
AFP’s new multimedia platform
World photo news 24 hours a day, 7 days a week04/09/2015 - 01:37
Andy Murray at the Open
The world’s sports news agencyread more
Illustrate your story differently04/09/2015 - 10:18Chargement...
AFP in Africa
AFP’s products and services in Africa